Monday, July 18, 2016

Day Two - June 19, 2016

Day 2 - June 19, 2016



The vast majority of our time yesterday was spent in orientation and in the classroom listening to lectures. We did, however, get to make a short trip via bus around the old city, stop at a few scenic overlooks, and then take a walk through the old city back to St. George's.  Yes, I know my eyes are closed in this picture, but it's the only one I have...I'll blame it on the jet lag (also why I was up at 4:00am again this morning).

The Old City

The old city is fascinating to me.  It is a mess of tangled streets lined by markets selling everything from food and candy, to souvenirs, to clothing, to pots and pans.  It is easy to loose your way and get totally turned around...that's not wholly a bad thing.  There's so much to see and experience in the old city, it's better simply to let go and see where curiosity takes you.  The old city for me is much like a oversized labyrinth in which God is found in the meandering and eventually finding a way out.

This trip to the old city was guided (a cheater's way of getting familiar), and without much time to take things in.  We entered at the Jaffa Gate and turned north to pass the Church of the Holy Sepulcher, and eventually out the Damascus Gate.


After looking at a map, I see the route on which we were guided were the boundaries between the four quarters of the old city.  The photo of the map gives the appearance that navigation is quite simple, but don't be fooled, it takes some getting used to.  I am looking forward to returning to the old city with some free time to experience the food and culture.



Advent & Christmas
Today is our trip to Ein Kerem and Bethlehem as we begin to follow the narrative of the Gospel of Luke.  The theme, of course, is the birth of Jesus.  We will experience that through the Church of the Visitation, the Church of John the Baptist, and the Church of the Nativity. It is a fitting place to start a pilgrimage, asking the question, "How will Christ be born anew in me today?" and "How will I carry Christ with me out into the world as I leave this holy place?"

Our thoughts and prayers are with our families and friends back home.  We continue to be grateful for your love and prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment